Ugly Cat Speaks

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Kitty Saga Continued

Friday I was still feeling down about Sappho (15 years is the longest relationship I've maintained with an individual not related by blood). I was also missing Mackenzie who had taken up residence at a local hippie stray cat cult (though, admittedly I hadn't seen any other cats when I went to visit her there). Doing what any good mother would do if her daughter had run off with a hippie cult, I marched down and brought her back kicking and screaming (and scratching and tearing my shirt). After the initial shock of being brought back home (though not inside, I wasn't ready for that drama yet), she settled quite nicely into my lap (after eating her supper) and let me pet her. Maybe she just forgot the way home. Maybe she was glad to be back since the male stray wasn't around. Whatever it was, I was deliriously happy to see her all curled up on the back porch Saturday morning when I woke up. She still refused to come inside and when I tricked her inside with some food (then shut the door), she panicked and frantically scratched at the door to get out. Even when I brought her to familiar places in the house, she made a beeline for the back door and mewed to get out.

Of course, this presented me with the same problem I had originally: what will she do for shelter when the cold weather comes? I still had to find another home for her rather than leave her in the woods to fend for herself. So, I drove around Easthampton and Florence looking for farms. The first one I stopped at already had an established barn cat community (this was going to be the primary obstacle to overcome); however, she recommended the farm down the road since the man had just lost his cat and was cat-free at the moment. (She even said to use her name since he was a "typical grumpy farmer".) Well, I don't know if I actually spoke to the man she was referring to because the gentleman was absolutely sweet as can be. He said he would take her after quizzing me a bit about her mousing skills (I was honest and said I had never seen her chase a mouse) and her health. I drove back home and was easily able to snatch Mackenzie (as she was still curled up on the back porch and very eager for attention when I opened the door). She was less welcoming of the cat carrier I wrangled her into. I brought her to the farm and let her stay in the cage while the man spoke to her and I reassured her. We put some food and water out, then opened the carrier to let her out. She slunk around the garage, which was open to the driveway, sniffing at everything. Then, to my horror, she started heading towards the busy street. Thankfully I caught her before she got close and steered her in the other direction towards the other buildings, the fields and the greenhouses. She was meowing up a storm as she seems to do now that she's been living outdoors full-time. She hid under my car and for a moment I thought she had crawled into the wheel well. Then, she was gone. The man asked if I would come back to visit. I replied "absolutely!" He said I was welcome anytime I wanted. He even gave me two pieces of the best tasting corn I've ever eaten. They must have just been picked.

So, although it seems as if I sold my cat to a farmer for two ears of corn, I think this is the best situation for Mackenzie. She's got plenty of places to hide (as evidenced by the fact that I couldn't find her this morning when I visited) and certainly many options for warmth in winter. I only hope she grows to like it and doesn't freak out and do something stupid. I, of course, am still a nervous wreck even though I know it will take a few days (if not weeks) for her to be acclimated to her new home. I'll keep checking back and whistling for her. So far, she has not responded, but hopefully that will change. If anyone wants some delicious corn (among other vegetables), stop by Ravenwold Greenhouses on Florence Road in Florence (close to the Easthampton line). And tell your friends, too!

I think my family is completely sick of hearing about my cat issues. In fact, I think my Mom wishes I would just get a life already. Maybe some of you readers think that as well. So what. I want what's best for the cat since it really isn't putting me out that much. I wasn't about to take the advice I got from several professionals and friends which was to euthanize her for her "peeing" behavior. I know most people would have put her outside and then let her fend for herself. I just couldn't do that. She's not a feral bad-ass cat. She is a sweet little skittish cat who just wants her freedom. She'll probably learn fast in the "outside world" to become a bad-ass cat; but, at least for humans, that is part of growing up.

As for me, I'm still learning how to become bad-ass in the outside world. I don't think it's likely that I will ever really be a bad-ass though. I like that I am sensitive and go above and beyond to tend to the welfare of those in my care. (And I know my Mom appreciates that as well; and if not now, she will when she starts having issues with her bladder!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home