Ugly Cat Speaks

Monday, August 13, 2007

Dreaming of an English Christmas

Yes, I know, it's August and I myself was just relaxing in the warm sun after swimming a few laps in the pool, so what am I doing thinking about Christmas? Well, it begins with Harry Potter. Or should I say "the boy that lived"? No, it definitely began with just Harry Potter.

I have always been late when social trends are blossoming. Even though I saw a couple of the movies and, I think, even tried to read the first book when it came out; I simply couldn't get into the "Harry Potter Craze". It's not that I disapproved (I may be a muggle, but I'm not totally out of it); it's just that it didn't capture my fancy at the time. Now that I am unemployed and with the added impetus of knowing that the last book is already published (hence no tortured waiting to find out what happens next), I decided to read the whole series. This decision came at the end of July and it is now two and a half weeks into August and I am more than halfway through book three. (I have some idealistic thought that I will complete this mission in August; however, I do not want to spend these glorious summer days inside with my nose in a book 24/7.)

So, I happened to be reading "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (Or it could have been any of them really), when I read about the events surrounding Christmas at Hogwarts. That's when I began to think about a traditional English Christmas, and well, the rest, is poetry.


Dreaming of an English Christmas

sinful plum pudding
flashy crackers
with surprises
inside -- wanting
Dickens' sentiment
Harry Potter's wonder
wanting
the happiness
to stick to my fingers
but it splits with a bang
as I grasp for a paper crown

ltv

1 Comments:

  • hey ltv, thanks for reminding me to catch up on your blog. not quite sure how I was able to survive without it, since it is like O2 for me. it's great to see your poems posted, I liked reading them, especially "W" and the dark ones, but they all have that ltv twist which I so crave. hope you are able to read at the festivus, because your prescense is so much desired.
    kitty cat purr,
    tt

    By Blogger tommy twilite, at Fri Sep 28, 10:52:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home