Ugly Cat Speaks

Sunday, September 11, 2005

MA.M, SAttP&DoPC

My original response to the White House Letter (See "Mail from the White House" below). Originally emailed 7/18/05.

Dear Mr. President,

I love watching the TV show West Wing. Wouldn't it be nice if you could run your presidency the same way Jed Bartlett does his? If you think about it, you probably have the same amount of writers on staff, various managers of press and publicity, directors, and cameramen.

I received a letter today, from your address. It was very politely acknowledging my "letter" to President Bush concerning the war on terrorism. It indicated that you appreciate hearing my views and welcome my suggestions. If that's the case, what was up with those election "town meetings" where pretty much only your supporters got to attend? I'm all for surrounding myself with friends, but when you are attempting to have an publicly open debate, tipping the scales in one's own favor is generally frowned upon.

I suppose you would appreciate my views if I supported your own; but, I don't even believe that. I don't believe you've ever heard my ideas and probably have no opinion whatsoever about me or my views. And that doesn't bother me; because I'm just an average citizen with no political background spouting my opinion because I enjoy the liberties my homeland provides me. (These same liberties which allow me to check books out of the library without fearing an investigation and send emails which are unmonitored.)

Tonight's episode of West Wing (9pm EST, Bravo Channel) focused on President Bartlett's response to a US Air Force transport being shot down. They talked about proportional responses and Pres. Bartlett asked the question: "What is the virtue of a proportional response?" He wanted to bomb the whole country into oblivion instead. He talked about when the Roman Empire was flourishing. How any Roman citizen could walk freely across the known lands carrying only the statement "I am a Roman citizen" with him. They could do that because all enemies knew that the retaliation for harming even just one Roman citizen was decimation. Where is that great Roman Empire today? Do you really want to follow in those footsteps? Do you want to make the same decisions that lead to using a decimating force?

We cannot afford to be at war Mr. President. If you truly appreciate my views and welcome my suggestions. Here they are. Get our troops out of Iraq even if we have to kneel before the UN and say we were very bad boys and girls and promise not to "liberate" any more countries other than our own. Which by the way, reminds me; we have a lot of work to do within our own borders. Try liberating some people from poverty. Why not find tools of mass creation right here in our schools by giving them enough money to thrive and produce intelligent, proud citizens of the United States of America.

Thank you for taking the time to write, Marguerite A. Murer. I send my best wishes right back at you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home