Ugly Cat Speaks

Monday, February 20, 2006

Featured Poet

Tonight I was featured poet at Westfield, MA Community Voices Poetry Open Mic. They are a great group of people (and I am not just saying that because they like me) with a lot of energy. Here's one poem I read in a Scottish accent in honor of my father who was born and raised in Glasgow.


St. Andrews

Weekend afternoons
your fascination
with watching grass grow
known as televised golf
baffled me
I never paid attention
how could a teenager
sit still long enough
to understand your reasons
I saw old men
weird clothes
no action
and some hushed announcer
I never bothered to hear

Today, in my adult boredom
or maybe out of nostalgia
I stopped to watch again
but instead I listened
to the Scottish announcers
chatting about nothing and the game
I felt the familiar accent
more than I registered the words
and it occurred to me then
that you were homesick

ltv

1 Comments:

  • Hi, ugly cat speaks- This is twilite. I have a new web page at www.tommytwilite.com Today I'm bored at work (and I'm checking out ugly cat speaks). There hasn't been any fires or accidents or heart attacks all day. That's not a bad thing, but right now I feel like a caged animal. St Andrews in a scottish accent is one of my all time favorite poems. It captures something sentimental and elusive. Quite simply, it is brilliant. I have always admired your work and the way you take chances and cover a lot of ground. Thought you'd like to know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jan 27, 07:41:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home