Ugly Cat Speaks

Sunday, January 27, 2008

FloPoSo Jan Slam

Hello denizens of the Net. The Florence Poets Society had its Annual Poetry Slam today. It was well-attended; 25 poets signed up for the first round. I am please to announce that I had the top score for the first round and along with half of the poets, proceeded to the second round. Sadly, though, I was not in the top half of the second round and did not proceed to the third and deciding round. I read two poems (posted below) that I have read before and was pleased just to have the opportunity to read. Plus, I sold a few of my chapbooks which is always a happy bonus at these events. So, enjoy the poems. I hope to write some more in the coming weeks, but I am also focused on my novel. I will give an update on that perhaps in the next few weeks as well.


This poem is a great performance piece, especially at slams.

Don't Take This Personally
(must be read in standard poetic monotone)

I felt an urge – to write
a poem – one so raw –
that my words – would
reach out – to each and
every ear – and stimulate
the nerve endings – with
adjectives and
action verbs.

and so I wrote - -that
poem – and I’m reading
it out loud – in my
poetry-reading voice –
with monotony so bland –
the scintillating words --
must -- surely inflame –
the pleasure centers – of
your brains.

And when I’m done –
reading -- my exciting poem –
please clap – politely –
and maybe – throw me
money – ‘cause I’m a poet –
you can tell – from the
way I express myself – so well –
in places like this -- reading
poetry – in my poetry-reading voice.

ltv


This is one of my favorite poems to read. And not just because I read it in a Scottish accent. If read well, I can usually choke myself up by the end.


St. Andrews


Weekend afternoons
your fascination
with watching grass grow
known as televised golf
baffled me
I never paid attention
how could a teenager
sit still long enough
to understand your reasons
I saw old men
in weird clothes
no action
and some hushed announcer
I never bothered to hear

Today, in my adult boredom
or maybe out of nostalgia
I stopped to watch
but instead I listened
to the Scottish announcers
chatting about nothing and the game
I felt the familiar accent
more than I registered the words
and it occurred to me then
that you'd been homesick


ltv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home