Ugly Cat Speaks

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Roses are red, Violets are blue

Ever since I was a child I have been writing "roses are red" poems for my mother's birthday, which is today. Her favorite one is from when I was about four or five years old:

violets are blue
roses are red
my mommy has nice hair
on her head

(I was messing with conventional forms even then.)


Here are this year's crop along with an additional one I wrote that wasn't birthday-appropriate. (Of course, it doesn't seem too appropriate to reference a baboon's butt in a poem, either, but that was her favorite one.)

Roses are red
like a male baboon's butt
you're the best mommy
'cause you're a loving nut


Violets are blue
the Roses have said
since the Asters and Mums
have been plucked from the bed


Violets are blue
since the Roses have read
the unfortunate news
that the Lilies are dead

ltv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home