Ugly Cat Speaks

Friday, July 03, 2009

Turkish Game Show Tries to Convert Atheists

As the article indicates, it really was "only a matter of time" before something like this cropped up on television. Had I bet on it, I would have chosen the good old US of A to host the first version of this, but the Turks beat us to it.

What makes this even funnier are the comments below the article. I was hoping for a lot more arguing, but I think there is a good "conversation" going about whether or not Atheism is a "religion in its own right". For the record, it's not. And yes, it is because it is like calling "bald" a hair color. Atheism is a belief, which is different from a religion (which is a system of beliefs) in that religion requires both faith and ritual. There are no atheist rituals (that I know of) unless you count trying to educate mono- & poly-theists that atheism isn't about satan-worshipping. (Well, it's the mono-theists, I think, that believe that. Most of the polytheists I know are more accepting of the different viewpoint of atheism.) And as for faith, that's a tricky one. Some atheists claim they don't have faith or that they prefer logic and proof to faith; but I like to say that I have faith that there is no sentient being watching over us who has a plan and interest in our well-being. I have about the same "proof" in my belief that the mono-or poly-theists have in theirs (unless you count lack of evidence on one side as proof of the opposite side, in which case, I believe--pun intended--I have the edge as an atheist.)

1 Comments:

  • They should give the ahteists in the Turkisk show the arguments found in bloganders.blogspot.com (left menu) which proves the existence of an intelligent Creator.

    After that they should use deduction to arrive to the conclusion of which religion is the right one. That will have consequences of the religion of the clergymen if the want to have faith in accordance with logic and science.

    By Blogger Anders Branderud, at Wed Sep 23, 02:26:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home