Ugly Cat Speaks

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Say What?

Dear Mr. President,

I know opinions are as common as dirt, but some opinions rise above the muddy thoughts of others.

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." ~Charles Sumner (1811 -1874, US Senator from Massachusetts between 1851–1874)

"Taxpayer dollars must be spent wisely or not at all." ~ George W. Bush, quote from Feb 2005 (I think you know who you are.)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969, 34th President of the United States)

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." ~David Friedman


"My aunt once said the world would never find peace until men fell at their women's feet and asked for forgiveness." ~ Jack Kerouac (1922 - 1969, American writer/poet)

Wow, my feminist ideals appreciated that last quote more than I believe I should. I'm all for strong women and women's rights and equality and equality of pay; but ultimately we are all human, no one type better than the other. I would amend Jack's words to say " The world would never find peace until people fell at each other's feet and asked for forgiveness."

Thoughtfully,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home