Ugly Cat Speaks

Friday, February 22, 2008

"Getaway" and "kids in an empty city lot (1938)"

A couple of new poems from this week. Comments, suggestions, and edits are always appreciated (as is praise, of course).


Getaway

in the evening
the crickets
keep me up
with their incessant
inconsistent chirping
I long for the monotonous drone
of the commuter line
that whooshed past my place
at twenty after every hour
not like here where random creatures
voice their opinions
about the sparsity
of food and love
at all hours of the night
where the darkness
permeates the room
so that I have to schlep outside
to see stars twinkling
above the tree line
I miss the glow of neon
in my living room
and the steady stream
of headlights traversing
the bedroom wall before disappearing
beneath the horizon of my window
this place isn't home
I need to move back
to the city to get away
from all these noisy neighbors
and inconveniences

ltv


kids in an empty city lot (1938)

back then they didn't know
as much as we do now
but something tells me
from their knowing smiles
in the black and white photo
and the arms draped
around each others' necks
that they knew enough
of the things that mattered
and learned the rest
when they needed to

ltv

1 Comments:

  • I was recently looking at some old b+w pics my wife took back when she was in college and into photography. they were all of kids from her old neighborhood in springfield back in the early 70's. some of the pics are of my brother's current girlfriend when she was a kid. they never met and started dating until maybe a year or so ago. strange how small this world can be. pretty weird, huh? this poem captures that time thing nicely. love tommy

    By Blogger tommy twilite, at Tue Mar 04, 08:44:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home