Ugly Cat Speaks

Monday, March 13, 2006

Jester's Westfield Community Voices

Well, another Monday night was well spent at Jester's in Westfield reading and listening to poetry. I can't believe I hadn't read "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Feelings" there before. It went over well; and I always enjoy reading it. Sadly, it does not translate well to the page, so until I can figure out how to a) get a decent recording of me reading it and b) figure out how to include that here; I will leave it to your imagination. Here are some other poems I read:


How I Killed Myself

first
let me explain
about Myself
and why killing
was the best option

imagine
a life not lead
and lead extraordinarily
often at the same time
every day a struggle
with meaning
with banality
Hope was a lottery ticket

agony lasting
so long
it was comfortable
-- only passion --
can overcome comfort
and in a fit
of passion
I killed Myself

it was uncomfortable
at first
having Confidence
quelling the negativity
dwelling on the positive
Control --
without the fear

whether it was a trick
of words or drugs
or a passionate
rebirth is irrelevant


Here's one that I wrote just before I went on to read:

Getting into the Groove

words tumble
like gumballs
across the linoleum
tripping me up
in my attempt to speak

wanting a tinnitus
of language
a tintinnabulation
of syllables

sadly, the din
of myself
seeking solace
in others
shuns the inner
singing voice


And this one's an oldie but a goody:

Eleemosynary Fix *

Why does sadness visit me
when I feel I should be fine
It's a sense of being tipsy
when I haven't tasted wine

Melancholy haunts me
-- a ghostly paramour --
an uncertain hesitation
of what's behind the other door

The Lady or The Tiger
always on my mind
fluctuations of emotion
a fruit without a rind

Unprotected heart and soul
fears that cannot settle
like the whistle when the water boils
but you can't locate the kettle

Doubts appear --unchecked
bringing completion to this mix
Unless, I give myself away --
an eleemosynary fix


***
Let me know what you think. What works and what doesn't. (Or just tell me how awesome I am, I'll accept that too.)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home