Ugly Cat Speaks

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Succumbing to Lamentations

A friend of mine expressed his disappointment in my not posting on a regular basis. And while I can't ever promise to do anything on a regular basis, I will attempt to post more frequently. Of course, this means my readers will have to suffer through the poetry or rants that slough off the top of my head in response to me watching emotional TV programs, reading the news, or whatever else happens to annoy or bring joy to me. Consider yourselves warned.


in the moment


there is no why
for abuse only
when and how
blows will come
regardless of past
traumas suffered
by either person
don't tell me
why you hit
tell me when
you will stop

ltv


Northampton Poet Laureate Leslea Newman has announced a new poetry prize and issued a challenge to poets (or anyone) to write poems on the topic of joy. Last night I attempted to write a threnody on joy, thinking of both the irony of the subject matter and possibly a play on the woman's name; however, this is what came out instead.


lamentation of a broken heart


in matters of
the mind or heart
it's better to
keep both apart

feelings held
within the chest
without a thought
are felt best

ideals thought
to be the way
will only lead
you to dismay

the one true path
to conscious love
is either felt
or not thought of

ltv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home