Ugly Cat Speaks

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Emily (almost belated)

Today is Emily Dickinson's Birthday. It pleased me to think of her poetry today and selfishly it pleased me more to think of mine. Does that make me narcissistic? Self-centered? Uh, hello, I am writing a blog, I would think the answer is obvious. I believe the majority of blog-writers are in some way narcissistic (if not just self-centered, like me). I toyed with the idea of writing another blog which gives advice to people who would send me questions about problems with relationships, money, or work. Somehow it seemed a service rather than yet another way to promote myself and my ideas. Who knows? Maybe I will still do that. But I have so many other projects on my plate right now, that that one doesn't seem like it has a shot of starting (let alone flourishing). Whatever happens, that's something fun to consider in any case.

Here's something else. These are the poems of Emily's and of mine that I had in my head today. Since it is Emily's birthday, I will print her poem first (and, as mine follows hers, mine will follow hers)(If you know me, you understand what that last sentence means).


A CLOCK stopped—not the mantel’s;
Geneva’s farthest skill
Can’t put the puppet bowing
That just now dangled still.

An awe came on the trinket!
The figures hunched with pain,
Then quivered out of decimals
Into degreeless noon.

It will not stir for doctors,
This pendulum of snow;
The shopman importunes it,
While cool, concernless No

Nods from the gilded pointers,
Nods from the seconds slim,
Decades of arrogance between
The dial life and him.

ED



For Emily

Sir, please Kindly pass me by
For we have met before
I’ve seen you walking with my friends
or lingering--at their door

We’ve sat together side-by-side
‘til one of us went home--
to tend to mundane tasks--put-off
or to inhabit the Unknown

Now this Great House is bathed in light
the decorations stunning
music teases through the night
Your humble offer--cunning

But, I’ll not be responding as those before
to your bold invite
you see, my card--alas--is full
I cannot dance tonight

ltv

1 Comments:

  • Good day everybody, I just registered on this wonderful forum and wanted to say hello! Have a fantastic day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Mar 14, 11:59:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home